Asylum Seeker Snapshot
There are 331 asylum seekers in the ACT in contact with Companion House as of August 2023.
71 of the 331 people are under 18 years of age.
People from Sri Lanka, Iran, Iraq, China and Pakistan are the largest groups of asylum seekers.
The framework for Safe and Ethical Work with Asylum Seekers in the ACT, prepared mostly by Companion House and co-badged by CRS, was launched at the Legislative Assembly recently.
The report covers information such as:
- Who is an asylum seeker?
- How do asylum seekers come to Australia and how does that affect their experience here?
- Asylum seekers in the ACT –numbers and demographic profile.
- Contributions to our community from asylum seekers.
- Support and Services for asylum seekers in the ACT
- Ethical issues to consider in service provision
- Building safety and respect into service provision